20 December, 2005

Childhood Memories?

For Christmas (or the "Holiday's" to be PC), my parents told us that in lieu of a present, they want each of us kids to write a story from our childhood. My siblings and I put our heads together, and after hours of deliberation, decided that we have a genetic malfunction in the part of our brains which contains childhood memories.

Seriously, this is disturbing. I have come up a with a story, really a couple of random thoughts loosely threaded together, but where the hell did my childhood go?

I have always loved stories, either on the printed page or told over a campfire. I have discovered that my problem is that while I love hearing them, I have never taught myself to tell them. Over the years I think that this has led me to lose memories because I have no way of storing them. I can recall bland facts, but have lost the warmth of the story.

I have devised a two part remendy: 1) become extremely depressed over the (bland) fact that I have no remains of my childhood, and 2) learn to tell a damn story!

So from now on, expect stories... just don't expect good stories ;)

jp

No comments: